PENSIONERS AND RETIRED PEOPLE: TAX FREE
PORTUGAL TAX REGIME FOR NON-HABITUAL RESIDENTS
- Retirees or pensioners who wish to establish their habitual residence for tax purposes in Portugal, will benefit from a tax exemption for a period of 10 years
- No taxation for pensions income obtained abroad
HOW CAN YOU BECOME ELLIGIBLE FOR NON-HABITUAL RESIDENT STATUS
- By not having been a resident in Portugal for the last 5 years
- Register at the local tax office as a tax resident in Portugal (to do so you must have remained in Portugal for more than 183 consecutive or non-consecutive days, or having remained for less time, have, on 31st December of that year, a home in such conditions that would lead to the assumption that it is intended to be kept and occupied as your habitual residence);
- Request that the status of Non-Habitual Resident be attributed at the time of registering as a tax resident in Portugal, or by 31st March of the year following that in which you become a resident in Portugal.
WHO IS ELLIGIBLE
Pensioners, stop paying taxes in their country of origin because they now have tax residence in Portugal and will be fully exempt from tax in Portugal, due to the particular legal standards for exemption set by law.
IN WHICH CASES IS FOREIGN INCOME OBTAINED BY NON-HABITUAL RESIDENTS IN PORTUGAL EXEMPT FROM TAXATION
- Income is taxed in the source State, in accordance with the convention to eliminate double taxation, signed by Portugal and that State.
- Possibility to buy/rent a dream home in Portugal, financing purchase only with the monthly amount that does not pay taxes on the pension received in their country of origin.
This information is not intended to be a substitute for consulting the applicable legislation.
WHY CHOOSE PORTUGAL
- A modern country where you can find a huge diversity of landscapes and environments in close proximity to one another: sandy beaches as far as the eye can see, golden plains and mountains, beautiful golf courses, vibrant and cosmopolitan cities all of which boast a heritage going back over a thousand years.
- The Portuguese are a gracious and friendly people, welcoming all visitors regardless of where they come from. In Portugal you will find that lots of people are able to communicate both in English and in French.
- Its superb cuisine, fine wines and hospitable people make this a paradise of the highest quality.
- With its mild climate, winters in Portugal are very amenable. And in summer, thanks to the oceanic influence, temperatures are rarely extreme.
- Portugal is the 18th most peaceful country in the world in a sample of 162 countries (Global Peace Index 2013).
- It has won prestigious Tourism awards: Best European Destination, Best City Break Destination, Best European Cruise Destination, and is one of the cities in the world with the highest quality of living.
- On the coast, once a fisherman's village, Cascais is full of glamour and charisma. It is situated in a cosmopolitan area full of life and entertainment and is considered by many the Portuguese Riviera